twitter


For many college students all over the nation, it is the first day of class. However, for many recent college graduates, it's just another day of naps or watching movies from your couch. 


Some of you may have nine to five jobs already, but the majority is still searching for employment in this new chapter. I come to say my fellow graduates: 

It gets better. 

I can neither confirm or deny this notion because I've only been living the post graduate life for a few months now. I am employed, but not in a position in my field or using my degree. This will be the norm for most of us. At some point, following graduation, we must stop mourning the past and move on to the future. 
It's natural to feel sad and nostalgic at this time of the year. We've been programmed to move in and attend class for the past four years. Now that we've graduated it's almost like well, what do we do now? We live. We now have the power to make our new lives whatever we would like. You find new things to do, new people to hang out with, or new ways to hang out with old people. The best part of finding employment is you now have real income to do things with. You can afford to travel or plan fun activities with friends on the weekends. Yes, there are some elements that are out of our control like WHEN we will find such employment. Nonetheless, the rest of our lives is what we make it. It's just like our college years. College was what we made it whether we choose to make friends, join clubs, go to parties, or go to class. We made choices that made our experience are great as it was. 

It's time to make those choices again. What are you going to do now? What are your goals for the next year? What can you now do that you weren't able to before? 

Personally,every time I begin to mourn the days of old I think about the family I gained from my alma mater. Although my time attending class is over, I always have those connections to fall back on. I haven't lost anything truthfully, only gained some amazing people and experiences that have shaped me. We can only assume it gets better from here because I see graduates living highly fulfilling lives all around me. 

& the best thing about it is they are still benefiting from the relationships and knowledge they built during college. 

-amb 

0 comments:

Post a Comment