twitter


hello friends.

i've missed you all. it's been over a year since i've written a post and BOY OH BOY has a lot transpired. i come to you with new perspective, greater faith, and a new job.



let's play catch up:

last time we talked i was working as a marketing assistant for a small company. i worked there for little under a year and it was an excellent experience. i would advise anyone who is about to graduate or new in the post grad world to work for a small company. you get to do a lot which means you learn a lot. consequently, you learn and grow into a better person. from one small marketing role that started with sales calls, i got to write marketing collateral, social media posts, and produce a monthly newsletter. i also got vendor management experience as well as account management experience. it wasn't without bumps in the road, but it was extremely beneficial.

lesson one:  walk before you crawl. it makes walking a lot easier.

if i hadn't worked in this role, i wouldn't have been able to move into a bigger and better role feeding off my previous experience. we're all in a rush to make 6 figure salaries and be financially secure, but who are we kidding? we're still kids trying to figure this game called life out. success will come, if you're willing to humble yourself in learn.

i was definitely rushing. i got my first loan statement and said "Jesus, have mercy - how am i going to afford this?". instead of managing my money, i began looking for more money. i worked two second jobs to no avail and then i started seeking a new full-time position. i was exhausted, underpaid, and unhappy. i searched for three months and couldn't find a new role.

lesson two: discipline is everything. you could be rich and still broke if you're not willing to say no.

so i pushed although life (in my case) Jesus was telling me it's not time for you to switch jobs. to give myself a break from financial turmoil, i applied to graduate school. BEST DECISION EVER. it was something i did for all the wrong reasons, but worked in all the right ways. I always wanted my master's degree and i'm so glad i'm now pursuing it. back to my job situation - so after about 6 months of searching i found a position! joyous rapture right? NOT.

it was completely the wrong role for me. i found myself in a old, dirty warehouse with miserable people doing hardcore sales on the phone while other employees were playing basketball behind me (strange, i know). i cried driving there everyday.

lesson three: trust the timing of your life. AKA trust God.

 "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." - romans 8:28

in a situation so crazy that if i explained it you would think i made it up, i found myself without work...for seven months. it was the longest seven months of my life full of many challenges both personal and professional. i lost two dear friends to death, a relationship, and my peace of mind. i had no idea why this was happening. i was angry with God and myself.

however, we must realize that nothing is in vain, but rather everything has purpose. from these ashes of my former life, i was given another. we focus so much on what we lost rather than what we can gain. on monday, i start the job of my dreams. this position is key to my future as a project manager. i just finished my first year of graduate school with a 3.85 this semester ( i want a 4.0 grr).

lesson four: temporary. everything is temporary including pain.

there were moments when i thought my life was over, where i didn't see the light at the end of the tunnel or the purpose in the pain. we must recognize that almost all feelings and situations are temporary. this means they have an end. life is made of building blocks and tunnels. you go up based on experiences or you go through experiences to another experience. in all of this know - there is a destination.

"Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be." - psalm 139:16 


cheers. 

amb

0 comments:

Post a Comment