twitter


Over the past week or so, I've been discussing the transition from college to the real world with several current and past students from my alma mater. One of my friends expressed anxiety as she approaches the transition. Another friend expressed how difficult it was for her post graduation to move on and began working. My boo's parent expressed how difficult it is for recent graduates who are expected to pay their student loans on entry level salaries.  As I had these conversations I knew I had to write about how I personally transitioned from class to corporate. 


The beginning of spring semester I was absolutely terrified of graduation. I was under the impression that I would have an internship in philadelphia for the summer for the beginning half of the semester and then I discovered the internship was given to someone else. I was devastated. I drove my friends crazy trying to put together every little piece of my future. I had to have a plan. 

I must of applied for 20 jobs or more pre-graduation and went on 3 interviews that were all unsuccessful. Other seniors I knew began to get offers who had less experience then I did and I got really discouraged. Graduation quickly approached and I prepared to move out of my apartment and back into my parents' house. I had built an entire life in Reading, PA that I had to give up and move back to a place that I had nothing established in. I didn't have a job, car, friends, or money saved at home. 

Graduation was the best day of my life. As I looked out at all my families from SGA to my sisters in Alpha Delta Pi. I felt so loved by everyone in the crowd. It was amazing to see everyone who was instrumental in my success. As I walked across the stage that day, I smiled at my family and I knew that I had picked the perfect place for my undergraduate education. I couldn't of asked for a better experience. 

Life took an unexpected turn when I had to be admitted to the hospital for a routine procedure gone wrong. To make things worse I entered the hospital on my birthday. I was so discouraged, but my spirits were raised when I got a phone call for my first job interview. Little did I know that this would be one of many interviews, all would leave me disappointed and unemployed. I finally started working for a local hospital in food service based on my past managerial experience. I was so happy to be employed, but hated being in food. After three months of being employed part time at the hospital, I prepared for
my student loans by searching for a second job. Instead of a second position, I found a job as a marketing assistant around the corner from my current job. How ironic? I'm in love with my job now and have gained so much experience. My company is small which allows me to learn many different skills and act in different  positions. 

I'm now seeking a second job to pay for my crazy loan bills and save money. At the end of the day, I can't complain. I am blessed. I know many people who are still working retail or haven't been able to find a position making enough money to afford their loans. Even though it's difficult, my problems are solvable with hard work and discipline. I'm telling you this because post graduate life can be discouraging at first. Applying to jobs and getting turnt down or not finding a positioning your field can be hard to handle. You may feel like giving up. You may reminisce and want to go back to your college days.

Don't look back. Press ahead. 
The biggest mistake you can make is thinking that what's behind you is better than what's ahead. College was a building block to opportunities. These opportunities wouldn't have been available to you without your degree. Know that those four years weren't in vain and whatever you're doing now  is a building block to bigger and better things. It's okay to be broke in your twenty's because you're establishing yourself. My biggest advice to bony graduates and further graduates is: 

1) getting a job is a job. You'll only get out of it what you put in it 
2) don't fret at small beginnings, they make big endings 
3) Work hard. Save your money. Don't forget to have fun. 
4) memories are okay. envy is not. 
Remember college, don't be envious of those who are still in college 
5) Grow. 
Even after six months you won't be the same person and that's okay. You're officially growing up. 
6) no matter what look towards the future and not at the past 

-amb 

0 comments:

Post a Comment