twitter


There are many opinions are what's appropriate for a job interview. Some say stick to the classics like a black pant suit. Others say it depends on the industry. I did a lot of research and I've came up with a few guidelines.


My Outfit for my interview today 

CLOTHING GUIDELINES 
1. Take a classic then add a piece that shows your personality
For me, it was this shirt with a neck tie. I love classic pieces, but I enjoy a little conservative funk. 
2. Watch your length! 
If wearing a shirt or dress, make sure you can sit appropriately and move freely. You don't want to sit down and your interviewer can see your unmentionables. This includes necklines. 
3. Footwear 
If you don't regularly wear sky high heels DO NOT start now. Wear flats or kittens heels. Something that you've wore before and you'll comfortable in. Close toe only please. Whip out the sandals another time. Wear stockings for finance and business industries. 
4. Be Comfortable. 
Never wear something that doesn't reflect you or that your not comfortable in. It will negatively effect how you present yourself during the interview. 
5. Layers are good. 
Having a jacket or cardigan that you can take off always is a plus. Never go sleeveless. It can be seem as too casual for the office. 
6. Jewelry 
Don't overdo it! Choose one bold statement necklace or ring. You don't want to distract the interviewer from your abilities, but you also want to create a memorable experience for them. I sometimes wear bright pink lipstick during my interviews. You can remove body jewelry like piercings if need be. I have a small nose stud that I keep in at all times. 
7. Dress like your interviewing, not like you already have the job 
The culture at each company is different. You may show up and everyone is wearing jeans, but you want to respect the interview process and dress business casual or higher. You don't have the job...yet. Dressing appropriately shows the company you're serious and professional. 

MAKEUP/ HAIR/NAILS GUIDELINES 
1. Keep it neutral. 
Invest in neutral makeup palettes like Naked from Urban Decay or golden/brown shades to create a sun kissed, natural look. The key is too look pretty, but not over done. A daytime smoky eye could also be appropriate. No heavy eyeliner or bright colors. I love a peach or coral blush for an interview because it creates that natural glow. 
2. Hair goes back and out of your face 
Keep your hair out of your eyes. It's distracting to both you and your interviewer if you're constantly fixing your hair while trying to talk. Stick to simple styles that say neat and classy. For example, a high bun or big, controlled curls. 
3. Nude nails 
Once again, you don't want to distract the interviewer with your bright, long, ghetto fabulous nails lol 
If you have acrylics, keep them short and either with French tips or a neutral polish. Luckily, nude colors are extremely popular right now so a nice shade shouldn't be hard to find. It doesn't have to be a brown based nude. Try a pink or purple pastel tone for something different! 
Some of my favorites:  

Wet n Wild MegaLast Polish in Undercover 

If you're impatient with nail polish try my favorite quick drying polishes: 
NYC In a New York Minute Polish in Brownstone or Fashion Safari 
Photo Credit: My Life My Thoughts By Emily 


& those are my tips for proper interview attire. 
When going on an interview remember to be confident! That's the best fashion accessory :) 
Look out for interview tips in a future post. 

I found some awesome articles along the way. Check em out! 
http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/30/interview-outfit-fashion-forbes-woman-style-budget.html
This resource goes through different industries and tell you what to wear: 
http://www.redbookmag.com/money-career/tips-advice/legal-job-interview-outfit

Happy Job Hunting Fashionistas :) 

-amb  

P.s. I'd love a male guest blogger to do a post about men's fashion and interviews. Email me if interested! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment